Friday, February 10, 2012

Organizing Your Advent Calendar

Do you love the idea of creating Christmas memories for you and your family that will last for a lifetime?  Hey...me too!  Since you're just like me you've probably started each Christmas Season off with really good intentions.
  • This year I am going to finally get a picture of my kids wearing cute little elf outfits (that I have sewn, although I have no sewing experience) sitting on Santa's lap.
  • I am going to fill my grandma's old candy jars with homemade candy, just like she used to.  Oh wait you need a candy thermometer?  Would an ear thermometer work?  I have one of those.
  • I am going to teach my kids the true meaning of Christmas by setting up a live nativity in our backyard.  Now where can I get a live camel?
I love filling the whole moth of December with Christmas related activities.  And I have finally discovered the secret to doing it successfully....Are you ready for it?....The secret is PLANNING!  "But Shannon, planning makes me...sad."  You might be saying.
I know, I know, I hear you.  But a little bit of planning is all it takes to create the Christmas vision that dances in your head.   The first thing you need to do is look at your schedule and existing calendar of events.  A lot of the activities will automatically be filled into your activity calendar simply by default. Now events like school programs, recitals, and family, church and company parties become a fun family Christmas activity instead of "just one more thing to do".

Next, fill in the rest of your Activity Calendar with the things you really want to do.  Make sure you take into account you and/or your family's schedule so you don't overlap events and you give yourself enough time to execute.  Notice, December 15th on my calendar, our activity is "cinnamon rolls for breakfast".  When I looked at our schedule I knew there was no way we could fit in an activity after school or in the evening so breakfast became the activity.  One side note here, get rid of your illusions of grandeur and Keep It Simple Stupid.  I did not make cinnamon rolls from scratch, the dough came from a tube baby.  Be satisfied with a regular ol' picture of your kids with Santa, no matter what it's going to be cute.  They're your babies, they're always cute.  Your grandma's old candy jars can be filled with...gasp..store bought candy and your kids can learn the true meaning of Christmas without live animals.

Now, I know you're going to think I'm nuts-o but I try to get all of my Christmas stuff done before December 1st.  Presents are bought and wrapped, the house is decorated and my Magnetic Spice Tin Advent Calendar is organized and filled so all I have to worry about in December is creating memories that will last for a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment