Friday, February 3, 2012

Spice Tin Advent Calendar Tutorial



My mom made this Advent Calendar for me a few years ago and I love it because it can be used every year, it stores well and it’s super easy to make.

What you will need…

  • 25 Magnetic Spice Tins.  Mine are the 6 oz clear ones from IKEA called Grundtal.
  • Metal Surface: garage door, refrigerator, framed piece of sheet metal, etc.
  • Cardstock.  Christmas theme or prints/solids that match your Christmas Décor.
  • Printer or number stickers
  • Scissors or circle cutter
Step #1
Decide how you want to add numbers to the paper that will go on the inside of the tins.  I wanted mine printed so I measured the diameter of the inside of the tin and used Microsoft Office Publisher to create a circle and then typed a number in the middle of the circle.  My circles were 3 ¾ inches so I was able to print four circles on each 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper.  I simply cut them out after they printed.  You will need to number your circles 1-24 and add a star to the last circle.  I have changed the colors of the circles and the font of the numbers a couple of times depending on what room I put the calendar in and I use this same template every time.  Super easy!   


***Note:  You can also punch or cut out circles and then add number stickers to the middle of the circles.

Step #2
Place the circles in the lids of the tins. 


Step #3
Decide what you want to put in the tins and fill ‘em up.  I always have leftover Halloween candy (I know…crazy huh?) so I put three pieces of candy in each tin; one for each of my kids.  I also put in small a piece of paper; printed on the paper is the Christmas activity we are going to do for the day.  My nephew doesn’t like candy (I know…crazy huh?) so my sister puts little toys in his. 


Step #4
Place the tins on a metal surface (I use my garage door) in the shape of a Christmas tree.  And…ta-da…you’re done!  Each day, after the kids have opened the tin, I turn the paper around so the number is facing the inside of the tin.  Now it’s easy for the kids, and me, to see how many days left till Christmas.



Step #5
When it's time to take down your calendar you can put the tins back in the boxes they came in and store them all in a 15Q/14L storage bin.


No comments:

Post a Comment